Pages

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Wednesday 24 August 2016

Early tomatoes and a different kind of blueberry




This photo was taken sometime in May. I had noticed these tomato seedlings about a week or so beforehand and kept thinking to myself I need to do something about them, or as the weather cools down heading into winter they won't survive. A couple of weeks later I got around to digging them up and putting them into pots and put them temporarily on the workbench in the shed until I cleaned the greenhouse out.


Well they stayed on the bench and grew and grew and grew! It has turned out to be a perfect spot for growing tomatoes over winter. My workbench sits underneath a window that faces north and these three tomato seedlings have lapped up any sunshine streaming through that window.


And now all three are in flower!! The last two weeks we have had a couple of reasonably nice days where the icy cold winds that have been blowing all winter have taken a momentary break and I have put the seedlings outside in the hope that the bees might find them. Only time will tell if we might be lucky enough to have some early tomatoes this year :)



'Blueberry Ruffles' 
The newest addition to the garden.
This is a short compact lavender, looking forward to seeing it fully in bloom.




Another new lavender 'The Princess'


These stocks have been in the garden for a few years now and are quite scraggy
and I'm always going to pull them out, but the bees absolutely adore them.


These two always tag along on drives, the little short one goes home in a few days
when my parents get home from their trip. They would hate to think they are missing out on anything!


I'm making a late start on sowing seeds for the spring/summer garden but am hoping that by putting the seed trays on the workbench next to the tomato seedlings, they too will soon be growing and growing. :)

3 comments:

  1. I also have a couple of tomatoes seedlings that overwintered in the greenhouse although they don't have any flowers yet and I will be potting them up into bigger pots today. The lavenders are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I love lavender and there are so many pretty new varieties out now, and the bees seem to love them as well. Fingers crossed that both yours and my tomato seedlings keep growing, flowering and hopefully fruiting before we know it! Wouldn't that be nice :)

      Delete
  2. I also have a couple of tomatoes seedlings that overwintered in the greenhouse although they don't have any flowers yet and I will be potting them up into bigger pots today. The lavenders are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting The Birds In The Bush, I love reading your comments.