Pages

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Sunday 13 December 2015

Bits from the garden


It's been about three months since I was last here, and I have missed blogging. I think I just got stuck in such a rut and lost motivation for everything. It has been all I can do just to get the basics done each day let alone anything else. A major health scare in recent months has given me the incentive to clean up my act, start eating much better and try to fit in some exercise each day, along with not stressing about things and setting some goals to work towards. I haven't even really been taking many photos which is is very unusual for me. These are a few from the last two or three months. Things are starting to grow in the veggie garden too, so need to take some photos out there.

We didn't have a great deal of cherries on the tree this year, but what was
there were happily eaten.

The donut peaches are turning colour and are so close to being ready to pick.

Success with onions at last! I didn't manage to get all the seedlings in which was
a shame, but what I did get in, grew well and we have been enjoying eating them.
They are quite hot! 
I didn't get any garlic planted this year but missed some from last year that came up
on their own, so managed to harvest about 15-20 bulbs.



The Hydrangea is looking really good this summer, covered in beautiful blooms.
Need to have a go at taking some cuttings.

Philadelphius, such an amazing perfume! Another one to take cuttings from.

The bees and hoverflies loved the cornflowers.
I Need to plant lots more flowers to attract the bees, butterflies and hoverflies.

The roses this spring were spectacular!
I still need to feed and give them a good mulch before the really hot weather sets in.
Not that we haven't already had some very hot weather over the last couple of months
even well before summer officially arrived.

The very last photo I have of my gorgeous chooks. A fox got in and and took the lot bar one
who was broody at the time and in on the nest. The rotten thing even got our two little
silkie hens which the kids had raised from day old chicks eight years ago.
We have some more chooks arriving Tuesday, our one and only
chook has been quite lonely.

Lastly this photo is of a cool tree made entirely out of scrap metal.
We saw it one day when out driving with youngest teen to get his driving
hours up. It looked quite funny this metal tree just standing there out
in the middle of nowhere.

Looking forward to returning here regularly, I am itching to go and take lots of photos and to spend more time out in the garden and to get back to doing all the things I love doing.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to see you back Sharon, I've missed your posts. I'm sorry about your chickens, it must have been heartbreaking to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, Thank you, it's good to be back :) Yes very heartbreaking to lose them all. It really was the most horrid scene walking out that morning to let the chooks out only to find such carnage. He killed all nine girls and left them all except for one of the silkies he dragged away. The new girls arriving tomorrow will be in fort knox!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting The Birds In The Bush, I love reading your comments.