Pages

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Monday 25 February 2013

Monday's Harvest


 
 
The bit cooler weather we had over the weekend has gone, and has once again been replaced by another hot day. The one plant in the garden that seems to like the heat is this lovely hibiscus. The shrub was here in the garden when we moved in. It sat in the same spot for quite a few years, never really growing, but doing okay. Then at the start of this summer I noticed it wasn't looking too good. With a cool start to summer I decided to dig it up and transplant it to a more suitable spot. Luckily it was the right thing to do as the shrub is now looking much better and finally growing and flowering just like it should be.
 
 
 
I think the dahlias are a bit like me, in that they have just about had enough of this very hot summer we have been having. Looking forward to autumn, I'm definitely much more a jeans, boots and scarf kind of girl rather than a shorts and t-shirt kind.
 



 
 
The vege garden has done well this summer, much better than last. Today I picked a couple of rockmelons, a few tomatoes, a couple more capsicums and another three corn cobs. I am so happy to finally be picking the corn. For awhile there I didn't think we would be eating any, as none of the first three lots of seed I planted germinated. Luckily the fourth lot did. Not sure what to do with the rockmelon. I am not really a big fan of it, don't mind it mixed in a fruit salad, but not so keen on eating it on it's own. I really grew the rockmelons for RM (daughter) as she loves them. Unfortunately they didn't ripen before she left for school. Looks like the chooks (chickens) might get a few to eat. Maybe I just need to learn to like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting The Birds In The Bush, I love reading your comments.